Blenheim Riverside Railway  

Blenheim
Marlborough
New Zealand



Award Winning Railway   
 

Subtitle

Locomotives of the Blenheim Riverside
Railway Society.

 The Blenheim Riverside Railway Society is fortunate to be in the position of owning and operating a collection of Locomotives and Railcar.


The Society owns five Diesel locomotives, One steam Locomotive and one railcar.


Below is a description of these with technical details and photos 








A & G Price - Number 1 ( Named George)


Number 166  -  Built 1951


This locomotive is powered by an Isuzu Engine

Original Owner - State Coal - Ohai  - Southland


Was aquired by the society in 1986.


 This locomotive is the mainstay of our fleet. Used primary on the scheduled Sunday runs and on the increasing charters.







A & G Price - Number 2( Not named)

-

Number 168  -  Built 1951


This locomotive is powered by a Layland  Engine

Original Owner - State Coal - Ohai  - Southland


Was aquired by the society in 2016


Purchased by a syndicate of members from the Totara Springs Camp in Matamata along with two "toast rack" type of carriages. This can be seen in our rolling stock tab.




 Ruston and Hornsby ( Named Murray)


Number 170204  -  Built 1934


Original Owner -Milburn Lime and Cement Co. ( 1934 - 1940)

Stored in Ashburton -


This locomotive was involved in building the Manapouri Tailrace Tunnel. An interesting fact is that it was an originally a 2'6" gauge locomotive and was regauged by the Blenheim Riverside Railway Society.






Ruston & Hornsby  (Nickname - Footrot)


 Built 1940's


Original Owner -Ministry of Defence - UK.


Sold to a English funpark after the war and used on an amusement Railway.

It was imported to New Zealand in 1984 and used at Footrot Flats fun park in Auckland (near the Whenuapai airbase). Footrot Flats modified it from a 3 cylinder to a 2 cylinder engine.

The locomotive was purchased in 2011 by John Orchard, President of Blenheim Riverside Railway Society.  



 DH 3443 - "Onahau"


 DH 3443 was located in the  Marlborough Sounds on a private scenic railway. Donated by the "Constructors Family"


Members with military precision with the safe transporting of  " Onahau" to the wharf, where it was craned onto the waiting barge to be taken on a farwell cruise of the sounds to Picton, and transported to its new home at the Blenheim Riverside Railway.






Diesel Railcar 


Our Railcar is known as RM1. 


Designed and built in 1992 by Gary Coburn of Picton with the help of other volunteers from Blenheim Riverside Railway Society (BRRS)  

Poweredf by a 4 cylinder Toyota diesel engine.


It has two bogeys and is powered in the middle with drive shafts in each bogey. It was the first BRSR Locomotive to have an air powered track sander put in which disperses sand onto the track in the front of the wheels to improve adhesion. 



Steam Locomotive  ( Named Donald)


Number unknown  -  Built 1901


Aquired by the society from the Collingwood  Museum Society in a very sad state in 1990.


Rebuilt by society members lead by Gary Coburn, John Stitchbury and Arthur Beaman.